I think I mentioned last week that I'm going to spend a few days doing a dummy level for The Hellstrom Project. I started by doing a few basic tiles I wanted to use, which didn't look that bad (in a cheap kind of way):
The finished set of dummy pieces.
Basically some floor tiles, walls, a simple door and 2 traps (the red things). This took about an hour to do and afterwards I imported them into unity, eager to start "messing around with a nice level" - well in theory anyway.
The first thing is that unity isn't very good at this kind of level building (or it's just me) but the lack of usable grids and quick edit possibilities (you can do it with some 3rd party extensions) quickly showed the limits for this kind of editing.
So I fired up my 3D Software and thought: "Well just use the tiles and export the whole level in one go then" - well in theory anyway.
I ended up with something that looked ok'ish, but at the same time showed the destinctive grid structure you get when you start using (and limiting yourself to) a limited set of items. You might argue that this works with LEGO, but the keyword is "limited" here.
I smell grids.
It does make for a distinctive art style, but not quite what I wanted. In the end I started from scratch and ended here:
Not even remotely the current state or finished (and not optimized at all).
Which I find a lot more appealing, even without textures.
And with this, I think I close this week's post and see you all next week.